Sunday, October 23, 2011

Statues of fertility of the ground

I had been wondering why some homes had statues
of Virgin Mary or of the crusified Christ on their
property. I thought it kind of strange, knowing that
most people are poor. How could they afford these
statues!! One day I asked Clarence about them, and he
told me that they were to bring blessings to homes.
When we were driving in southern Poland this past
week, we saw lots of these statues at the corners of
farmers' fields. I asked again, and Clarence said that
they will bring the blessing of fertility to
fields. Here are some pictures of the statues.



I think this one had the year 1901 engraved on to it.






When we saw this one, we thought that these people
 had really gone all the way.

This is what was inside that little building.
We don't know what message this is
supposed to give to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment